Monday, September 14, 2009

Apple and Cinnamon Muffins


With fall approaching I felt the impending desire to bake something involving the seasonal flavors: cinnamon, pumpkin, apple, etc. Thanks to the recent purchase of a few new cookbooks, I found a recipe that fit the majority of my "fallish" food cravings. These cinnamon and apple muffins are in fact supposed to be larger than pictured here, but I decided to make a few more smaller ones as opposed to six big ones...plus I didn't have any paper muffin liners and I thought that they would bake and come out of the tin more easily if they were smaller. Perhaps that logic is twisted because now that I think about it, it really makes no sense at all. :) Oh well, regardless the picture in my recipe book is of course much prettier and the muffins look much healthier and meatier, but I like my emaciated muffins just the way they are thank you. :) Feel free to use any kind of apple in this recipe as well. I chose the Gala apple because it is in season (and on sale [yes I am a cheap college student I admit]). Although Granny Smith apples are my favorite to eat by themselves, I wouldn't recommend them for this muffin because I think they would be a little too tart and clash with the flavor of the cinnamon. That of course is my own opinion...feel free to choose whichever apple you like. Ok enough of my ramblings and on to the recipe. Happy September all!


Ingredients:
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp. caster (superfine) sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (I added a lot more)
2 small eating apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped

For the topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. (or more) ground cinnamon

Recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large muffin tin with six paper cases (or in my case, not...)
2. Mix the egg, sugar, milk, and melted butter in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add the chopped apple and mix.
3. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin cases. To make toping, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the uncooked muffins.
4. Bake for 30-35 min.

No comments: