This recipe comes from http://www.suite101.com/
I've never made a French Silk Pie before, and I must say that I'm kind of proud of my first endeavor. I did make a few minor adjustments of my own to recipe of course.
*it does contain raw eggs
French Silk Pie Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 tsp pure vanilla
- 3 large eggs
*You can make your own pie crust, but I just used a pre-made graham cracker crust. I melted 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips and spread over the crust. Put in the freezer for a few minutes; this creates a chocolate layer in between the pie and crust and it's really good.
- Melt chocolate in a small bowl over hot water. Do not let the chocolate harden up.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter at medium to high speed about 1 minute.
- Add sugar, 1/4 cup at a time and continue to beat until light and fluffy. This will take 3-5 minutes. Scrape bowl often. It must be mixed long enough so it is no longer gritty.
- Slowly add the melted chocolate to the butter mixture, beating on low to medium speed until the chocolate is well blended and mixture is smooth and creamy. Scrape again.
- On medium speed, add eggs one at a time, beating after each one before adding the next egg.Scrape bowl.
- Add vanilla and give it one more mix.
- Spread into a pie crust.
- 1 cup Whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- Chocolate curls, optional for garnish
- In large mixing bowl, beat cream until it sets up. There is no way to explain how long this will take. Every mixer is different. It should be light and fluffy and look like soft whipped cream. Do NOT let it get to the butter stage which can happen very quickly. If in doubt, under mix. You can always whip it a little more after the sugar is added.
- Add powdered sugar and and vanilla and beat until fluffy and stiff. Do not over beat.
- Put whipped cream into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip and decorate the pie. Or pile the cream on high with a spatula.
- Sprinkle with chocolate curls.
- Refrigerate pie and any leftovers.
Makes one 9 inch pie