Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mississippi Mud Cake

Hi everyone! I apologize for not posting in such a long time, things are just a bit hectic right now with school and trying to find a job. On to more important matters though: Mississippi Mud Cake.

I found this recipe off http://cookiebakerlynn.blogspot.com What I love about this cake is that it's supposed to be messy, so it's basically error-proof! The bottom is a thin chocolate layer of moist/gooey cake with toasted pecans (I added a few additions and special touches to her original recipe by the way). The next layer is melted marshmallows, topped with homemade chocolate frosting that kind of melts on top of the marshmallows. Oh...my...goodness...my first thought was, why am I just NOW making this? Living in the South, you would think that I would've heard of this cake, but oh no. 

I'm not recommending all of you to make this cake, I'm TELLING you to b/c it's just that good. How many people have ever had chocolate cake with a layer of melted marshmallow with chocolate buttercream frosting melted on top? It's also really simple to make too. I hope you all enjoy this recipe and I'm expecting some comments below telling me how wonderful your cake turned out. :)


CAKE:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Dash of salt
1/4 cup plus 1-1/2 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
10 oz. marshmallows (I used large, but I think mini might work better)


 Chocolate Frosting:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp cocoa
1/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp warm milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
16 oz. powdered sugar, sifted

1- Preheat oven to 325 deg. F. Grease a glass 9 x 13 - inch pan. (If using a metal pan, increase the oven temp to 350 deg. F)

2-Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa; add to creamed mixture. Stir in vanilla, almond extract, mini chocolate chips, and pecans.

3-Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until top is barely soft to the touch.

4- While cake is baking, prepare the frosting. Cream butter then add the cocoa, mixing well. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, adding warm milk as necessary, until spreading consistency. Stir in vanilla.

5- Remove cake from oven and cover top with marshmallows. Return to oven for 2 minutes or until marshmallows are soft. Spread marshmallows over cake and immediately cover with Chocolate Frosting. 

6- Let the frosting harden before cutting the cake into squares.



6 comments:

noble pig said...

Oh my word that sounds delicious!

Elyse said...

Mmmm, I love love love Mississippi Mud! I'm so glad you pulled this recipe from Lynn's blog. It looks delicious, Olivia! Hope life is good for you; we've missed you around the blogosphere. Glad you're back--and with such a yummy treat, too!!

Kerstin said...

Glad to see you back :) I've never had Mississippi Mud Cake, but it looks fantastic with all those melted marshmallows on top -yum!

The Purple Carrot said...

Everything you make alwasy sounds so delicious, girl!!

I think if I made this I would literally want to eat it all, it looks that good!! (But I don't need to do that :s, haha).

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Katrina said...

LOVE Mississippi Mud. Haven't had it for YEARS. Great job.

Lee said...

Just last week I noticed a Mississippi Mud Cake recipe in one of my cookbooks and thought to myself, "That sounds good! I need to make that soon!"