Monday, October 20, 2008

Just the Beginning


As I stumbled upon a delicious recipe online at a random site, so began my addiction with searching the internet for amazing and new dessert recipes. Sure I can cook, but baking is so much more fun. I must admit that I MUST have a picture of whatever I'm going to prepare because it gives me the incentive to make it. Thus being said I've collected a lot (it's ridiculous actually) of recipes I have bookmarked...in bookmark folders...in alphabetical order. I know I can go a bit overboard at times, but hey just go with me. The first recipe I made is carmel popcorn balls (it's also festive too since Halloween is almost here) at the request of my dad. I don't like carmel popcorn myself, but I thought these were fantastic. The homemade caramel tastes completely different than the regular stick and hard kind. Hope you enjoy!

Caramel Popcorn Balls
Ingredients:
1 bag of microwavable popcorn
1/4 cup butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
 1/2 cup light corn syrup
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
Pop the popcorn and set aside. In a medium saucepan with a candy thermometer inserted, combine butter, sugar, and corn syrup. Stir well and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in condensed milk; simmer, stirring constantly, until thermometer reads 238 degrees F (114 degrees C). Stir in vanilla.
Pour caramel over popped corn and stir to coat. Let it cool for a few minutes. Shape into balls of desired size, but wet your hands before to prevent them from sticking. Place on wax or parchment paper.



No comments: